Monday, October 15, 2007

Pretend Monsters

With Halloween just around the corner, we've had lots of interesting discussions with Jacob. Mostly they center around ghosts, witches, big spiders and monsters. Jacob is very concerned about all of these things, but most especially monsters.

Yesterday we had a discussion about monsters, and the fact that they are pretend. At the end of the conversation, I felt fairly reassured that Jacob was reassured. The world was back in order, and fear of pretend monsters wasn't included in this new world.

Last night, or more appropriately, this morning at around 2 am, I woke up to see Jacob standing at the foot of our bed. When I asked him what was wrong, he told me that there were monsters in his room. When I revisited (though not necessarily coherently) our conversation from that afternoon about pretend monsters, he clarified:

"No Mommy. There are pretend monsters in my room and they are scaring me."

What was I to do? Jacob climbed into bed with me and Nick, and I was once again reminded that a king sized bed would be nice.

No comments: